In the following links you can find information on what can and cannot be recycled, as well as how to reduce waste overall.
Please note that the slip road from the northbound M11 to the eastbound A14 will be closed for around 3 weeks (until mid October) due to works by Highways England (the closure will be 24/7). The diversion will be to carry on along the westbound A14 to J30 (Dry Drayton), go over the flyover and onto the A14 eastbound. This is likely to cause additional congestion during peak times.
Road closure (https://roadworks.org/?tmi=5414427):
Please see the following note issued by SCDC and contact your District Council if you wish to report it further.
Odour from the land
In dealing with complaints relating to the spreading of manure or slurry on the land, Environmental Health Departments follow the informal advice provided by the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA), which is that ‘manure or similar should be ploughed in within 72 hours of it being spread.’
It is accepted that there is to be a certain degree of odour arising from this activity. If odour is experienced after this period and its source is identifiable, Environmental Health Departments can investigate to establish whether it is causing a statutory nuisance.
The Cambridgeshire Energy Switch is a scheme that builds on the strengths of Cambridgeshire County Council, the District Councils and residents, and brings them together in order to get a cheaper energy tariff.
Taking part in the Cambridgeshire Energy Switch is free and without obligation. The more people that participate in the scheme; the more likely we are able to achieve cheaper energy prices.
The Cambridgeshire Energy Switch holds its next energy auction on the 9th of October. The supplier who offers the cheapest tariff in the auction will offer registered households a new energy contract. From the 22rd of October personal offers will be sent out and households will be able to see straight away how much money they could save on their annual energy bill. They then decide if they want to accept the offer or not.
More information, including how to sign up HERE
Snapshots from “Ickleton and the Great War”
SURVIVOR: Frank Hubert (k/a Dan) Lilley (1899-1985) – he served as a Private 310731 in the Tank Corps and was awarded the Victory and British War medals. He married Grace Bowtell at St Mary Magdalene Church, Ickleton Church, Ickleton in 1934 and they had 2 daughters, Margaret b.1936 and Pauline b.1939. The 1939 Register shows them living in South Street (Frogge Street) and that he worked as an agricultural engine driver. He worked for C R Pumfrey and Sons of Duxford in the 1920s and 1930s. Pumfreys were agricultural contractors and had steam traction engines which were used for farm work such as threshing. Frank continued to drive engines in their collection at shows and rallies up to the 1960s. He is buried in Ickleton cemetery and the Burial Register records his address as 27 Abbey Street.
RED CROSS HOSPITAL: Norman Hall had been owned and lived in by Miss Susannah Francis. She died in 1910 and, at some point, it would seem that her Executors sold the property to Fred Godfrey. It was certainly an amazing gesture to let the Red Cross have the use of Norman Hall but, although it was attributed to Fred, the Godfrey family recall that Norman Hall had been given to his daughter Dorothy Godfrey for her 21st birthday in 1913 though Fred would still have had a say in its use. It seems we must thank both of them on behalf of all the patients who were treated there. The hospital opened on 5 November 1914 when it received 20 wounded Belgian soldiers. The first English soldiers arrived on 22 December 1914. Mrs Gertrude Bowen was the Commandant and Quartermaster, Mrs Nunn was the matron and most of the other staff were VADs supported by local volunteers who were members of the Red Cross Ickleton Working Party. The Red Cross records show that 114 men had been treated by August 1915. The hospital remained open for the duration of the war and finally closed on 18 January 1919.
TRAGEDY FOR THE FAMILY OF DICK AND JANE PAGE: Dick and Jane Page had 8 children born in Ickleton. Jane also had a son, Herbert Freeman. Dick worked as a farm labourer and the family lived in Abbey Street in 1901 and in Grange Road (Deadman’s Hill) in 1911.
Herbert Freeman enlisted at Sawston and served as Private 18288 in the 2nd Battalion, Suffolk Regiment. He embarked for France on 20 July 1915. Arthur Page enlisted in Cambridge as part of the ‘Villages around Cambridge Squad’ recruited in September 1914 and served as Private 2694 and then Private 325855 in the 1/1st Battalion, Cambridgeshire Regiment. Alfred Page enlisted on 10 December 1915 at the age of 23 as Private 26678 in the 14th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. Jabez Page was exempted from military service as he had a deformed foot.
Herbert Freeman was reported missing in July 1916 and was thought to be dead. Arthur was wounded on 31 July 1917, during the Battle of Pilkelm Ridge when the Cambridgeshires attacked at St Julien (the opening attack of the Battle of Passchendaele, the 3rd Battle of Ypres). He died on 10 August 1917 aged 22 due to an explosive bullet which exploded inside him. His mother visited him in France before he died and was present at his burial. Only 12 days later, on 22 August 1917, Mrs Page received a letter confirming that Herbert had been killed on 20 July 1916 (more than 12 months earlier). The very next day, on 23 August 1917, she received a card telling her that Alfred was wounded having received a shrapnel wound to his right forearm. Seven months later, on 29 March 1918, Alfred was severely wounded in both legs and as a result his right leg was amputated below the knee.
Herbert has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme. He was awarded the Victory, British War and 1915 Star medals. Arthur was buried in Etaples Military Cemetery, Pas de Calais and was awarded the Victory, British War and 1915 Star medals. Alfred was discharged from the army on 19 December 1918 and was awarded the Victory and British War medals and received the Silver War badge.
THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE: Frank Charlton Jonas (b. 1881, d. 31 July 1917) – born in Ickleton to George and Jane Ellen Jonas. The Jonas family were important Ickleton farmers. Frank’s grandfather Samuel was a renowned farmer, particularly of sheep, first in Ickleton, where he lived on Abbey Street, and later at Chrishall Grange. Frank’s father George also farmed in Ickleton (Heath Farm, now known as Rectory Farm). The family lived on Abbey Street and Frank was the youngest of the children. By the time he was 9 the family had moved to Vicarage House (later known as the Old Vicarage) on the Green in Duxford. Frank’s mother died in 1889 when he was 7.
Frank was posted to 1/1st Battalion Cambridgeshire Regiment in Flanders where he commanded C Company (men from Whittlesey and Wisbech) from 25thNovember 1916.
His last letter, 4 days before he died, was to his daughter Betty, aged 4.
“l have seen such a lot of airoplanes (sic), one was doing such clever tricks, turning over and over in the air, I thought he must fall but he did not, it was very clever.” He talked of chickens and ducks that he had seen, and funny little carts that dogs pulled with hay in to feed the cows; how they slept in tents. He talked to her as if he was on holiday and enjoying all the animals he saw. “This morning I saw a mother with her eight little chicks only a few days old.”
Frank was killed in action, aged 36, leading his company on 31 July 1917 the first day of the Third Battle of Ypres (Passchendaele). The war diary of the 1/1st Battalion Cambridgeshire Regiment for that day starts with the entry “At Zero hour (3.50am) the attack commenced. The morning was fine with a slight mist. The bombardment was the heaviest that had ever been fired in the World’s History.” Unfortunately, the advance did not go to plan. There had been heavy rain and there was confusion, thick mist, mud and lack of artillery support. In a history of the Cambridgeshires by Brigadier-General E Riddell (former CO of the 1/1st Cambridgeshires when he was Lt-Col Riddell) recounts:
“I sent Jonas with his remaining two platoons of C Company to occupy Border House and hold it at all costs. Nothing was to tempt him from his position save a written order from me or my successor. That was the last I saw of the gallant Jonas. Jonas and the majority of his men have no known resting place; their names are graven on the Memorials to the Missing and their deeds on our hearts.”
VOLUNTEERS AT THE RED CROSS HOSPITAL:
William Miller (1860-1932) (Billy’s grandfather) – he had served in the City of London Police Force from which he retired as a Police Sergeant in 1908 and came back to Ickleton. Every morning he emptied earth closets and pig buckets, from 5 November 1914 to 18 January 1919, for which he was paid (we should think so too!). He lived in Mill Street (25 Mill Lane) in 1911, in Grange Cottages in 1920 and in Abbey Street by 1925. Mrs Bowen thanked him in her farewell speech for the disagreeable jobs he had done and for being ‘most willing and obliging’.
William’s Red Cross medal
Ada Jane Stubbings (1887-1966) – in 1911 her family was living in part of Hovells which may have been divided into 3 small cottages at this time. Her brothers William and Herbert served in the war. She did scrubbing at Ickleton Red Cross Hospital every morning from 21 April 1917 to 27 April 1918. She married Sergeant Alfred John Knowles of the Grenadier Guards in May 1918 at St Mary Magdalene Church, Ickleton. He had been a patient at Ickleton Red Cross Hospital for 4 months – a hospital romance!
Mrs May Webb (1880-1963) – the 1901 census shows her working for Mr and Mrs Bowen as a housemaid and living at the New Grange. She married Eustace Webb in 1906, probably in Elmdon, and they had 2 daughters. In 1911 the family were living at 21 Brookhampton Street. She did washing every week from 5 November 1914 to 19 January 1919. Her husband was killed in the war in November 1917.
Snapshots Ickleton and the Great War (click to download pdf)
Book to be Published about ‘Ickleton and the Great War’ by Village Society
A book about the contribution of local men and women to the efforts in WW1 is being published this Autumn by The Ickleton Society. ‘Ickleton and the Great War’ will offer a fascinating insight into the different ways people who were born or lived in the village contributed to the war effort. The contribution of those from neighbouring villages who either moved away or came to Ickleton to work at the Red Cross Hospital in the village will also be remembered. The aim, as we come to the centenary of the armistice, is to pay tribute to these folk, celebrate their lives and show how a small rural village stepped up to the mark.
The book gives a full background about the village at that time, the local regiments, how men were recruited into the armed forces, what happened to them if they were wounded and the setting up of the Ickleton Red Cross Hospital. Detail is given about the lives of the 200 or so people the Society has traced who went to war or served in some way on the home front, including the many women who volunteered at the hospital. The book is illustrated with lots of photographs, information taken from military and Red Cross records and, where we know which battalion men served with, details of the battles they were in.
Through a grant received from South Cambridgeshire District Council’s Community Chest and a donation from The Wellcome Genome Campus towards the printing costs, we should have copies to give to, in order of priority, local schools and libraries, people who have helped us with the project, descendants of people in the book, Ickleton Society members and residents of Ickleton village. If you are a descendant of an Ickletonian who contributed to the WW1 efforts, then please get in touch to register your interest in receiving a copy of the book at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Rachel Radford telephone 01799 530994.
On Saturday 10th November, 11 – 4 pm, in Ickleton village hall, Frogge Street, we will be holding an exhibition about the people in the book and life in the village during WW1. All are welcome to attend, and admission is free.
There have been another two thefts from the Church roof. Some time over the last couple of weeks the thieves returned and took a further third of the lead on the South porch. Unfortunately, we only discovered it after the heavy rainfall on Monday and so the walls are now badly stained too.
Last night they returned and stripped the remaining lead from the South aisle and the porch. Please contact the police immediately if you see anything suspicious.
In the link below you will find the DPC response to Uttlesford District Council regarding the new town, submitted prior to the consultation closing date on Monday 13 August.