Duxford C of E Primary School works

Work continues at pace at Duxford School following recent fire.
Building and demolition experts appointed by Cambridgeshire County Council are continuing their work on site at Duxford C of E Community Primary School, following the fire on the evening of Friday 31 July.
Damage was contained to one wing of the school building, part of which is used by the pre-school and the out of school club (The DX Club), resulting in the loss of four classroom spaces and some ancillary space. In place of these, the County Council is providing three double mobile units each providing two classroom spaces with cloakrooms and toilets – a total of six high quality teaching and learning spaces for pupils and staff on their return in September.
The remainder of the school building including the Key stage 2 classrooms, the hall and the kitchen, is intact and has been made safe ready for use by the school on re-opening.
Council and school officials have acted quickly, with the mobile units now on site.
Hazel Belchamber, Assistant Director of Education Capital & Place Planning at Cambridgeshire County Council, said, “Talks are already at an advanced stage and I want to thank my Council colleagues, leaders from the school, pre-school and out of hours club and the Diocese of Ely for their individual and collective contributions and effort so far. The mobiles arriving on site marks an important milestone and significant progress in only a matter of weeks. Everyone is committed to continuing to work together to help the school recover from this situation quickly as possible.”
Suzanne Blackburne-Maze, Headteacher at the school, said, “It has been magnificent to see everyone pulling together and just how quickly things are moving forward. With the mobiles arriving on site we can start to envisage how our school, the pre-school and the DX club will look come September. Without doubt there is great sadness in the situation we have faced – we have lost part of our building and with it some treasured materials, but we will pick ourselves up and get back on our feet, and will be ready to welcome our children back in September. We will keep parents updated with our progress.”

County Councillor Peter McDonald, local Councillor for Duxford, commented; “The Community is really pulling together to bring about a start to the new school year”.

Members of the public are kindly asked to stay away from the site as demolition and building works continue.

A JustGiving page set up by Helen Andrews, clerk to the school governing body, is currently over £20,000 – with funds set to help replace books and equipment lost in the blaze. Please click on the above link to donate.